Happy Veteran's Day!


Veteran's Day is a federal holiday that I never really understood.

I knew it was a day when we remember and thank those who have served and those who are currently serving in the US military.

I also knew it was a day when restaurants gave free food or discounts to the retired and active duty military, as well as retail stores offering discounts to retired, active duty and their families.

As a military spouse, I looked forward to this day for the shopping discounts and free food.

I just love great deals.

But...

As a daughter to a retired Navy veteran, I never thought twice about the retirees.

I mean, yeah.... I thank them and all.

But, Veteran's Day had turned into my day of getting great deals.

Sad, but true.

It wasn't until recently that I started questioning every holiday and observance.

Federal .... State .... Religious ...

Why do we celebrate these?

Are they holidays and observances that I want to celebrate and/or make time for?

Am I just going along with the status quo and going through the motions?

Do I really understand them enough to teach my son the specifics on ... "Why we celebrate?".

Well...

As it turns out, Veteran's Day is a federal holiday to honor those who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces.

People in other parts of the world also celebrate this day as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day as it marks the end of World War I.

The war ended at the 11th day at the 11th hour at the 11th month in 1918.

Since that day, the U.S. celebrated Armistice Day, but in 1954 this holiday evolved in the U.S. as Veterans Day.

How about that?!!

Today, I'm looking at Veteran's Day with a new set of eyes.

I'm bursting with gratitude for those who have served to protect the freedoms that I take for granted.

The freedom of unalienable rights as described in our Declaration of Independence.

God bless you for your sacrifice for this free nation.

Comments

Popular Posts