My Go To Dish

On very busy days like today, I struggle to figure out the family dinner situation.  So many questions... What can I throw together? Will the super-picky toddler eat it?  Do I have all the ingredients?  How long will it take to get it on the table?  Blah....blah....blah...

My "go to" dish lately has been a filipino dish called, chicken adobo.  It's so yummy and one of my favorite comfort foods.  It's something I grew up eating and want my family to enjoy as well.  Fortunately, everyone in my family loves it and I never have to worry about putting away leftovers after this meal.  Even the picky toddler finishes his plate.  Because this is unique to most, easy to make, and very tasty, I've made this dish for many people throughout the years ... and have yet to meet anyone who isn't a fan of chicken adobo.  There are many ways to cook this traditional filipino dish, but here's the recipe I learned from my mother.

Chicken Adobo          *Printable Recipe*
2 pkgs chicken thighs (approx 12 thighs)
4 T soy sauce
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 chicken boullion cube (knorr brand)
1 T sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1.5 T olive oil

In a pot, saute garlic and onions in olive oil until tender.  Add chicken thighs, soy sauce, vinegar, boullion cube, sugar, garlic powder, pepper, and bay leaves.  Cover and cook over medium heat.  Stirring occasionally for approx 30-40 mins until chicken is tender and easily falls apart.  Serve over white or brown rice.

Popular Posts