Vegetable Potpurri

It's Sunday and I have a lot to accomplish today, so I made a super easy, nutritious, and quite tasty meal for my family called Pinakbet (pronounced Pin - awk - butt).  Pinakbet, is a veggie dish that was one of my favorites growing up.  My mom, an amazing cook, would throw this together in a pot using a potpurri of vegetables from my dad's garden.  She served it with rice and a side of fish or meat.  Many filipinos from the northern region of the Phillippines, where my dad is from, are familiar with this dish and cook it in a variety of ways....meaning, no two pinakbet recipes are the same.  I made a few tweaks to my mom's yummy recipe to adapt to my family's diet and busy schedule.  We love it and never feel guilty eating a ton of it.

Judith's Pinakbet
1 28 oz bag of frozen veggies (I prefer Pictsweet Vegetables for Soup)
1/2 acorn squash, cut in chunks
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 T ginger, minced
1 chicken boullion cube (I prefer Knorr brand)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 T olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Saute garlic & onions in olive oil until tender.  Add frozen vegetables, acorn squash, boullion cube, garlic powder, salt & pepper.  Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Serve over white or brown rice.

Comments

Popular Posts