A Grateful Heart

It's Monday and I really don't like Mondays.

When I woke up this morning, I reached over for my iPad to look at my calendar for the day.

With a little dread, I realized that I had scheduled some time for me and my son to volunteer putting flags on Chaplains graves at the Fort Sam National Cemetery.

UGHHHhhhhh!!!

Although it sounded like a great idea last week when I signed up, but on Monday morning at 8:15am...

Not - so - much!

I pulled myself together...

Rushed my son through breakfast...

And raced out the door.

Hurried and a little bothered with the start to my week, I met my friend at the cemetery office who gave me flags, a list of Chaplains, and a map of the cemetery.

I figured that we'd rush through finding the sites, push flags into the ground, and then quickly get back to our cozy little home.

But...

As I stood frustrated next my car attempting to figure out where to find LTC Richard Carty's tombstone in Sec 41 Plot 619...

I looked up and saw this.


This beautiful image.

It took my breath away.

My little boy facing the graves of our nation's heroes.

I was overcome with emotion.

At this point, I knew it was going to be very special morning for both of us.


We took our time and found tombstones for many Chaplains....

Put flags down and...

Prayed.

Thanking God for their beautiful life of service in this world.

Not only to this country, but service to people.


It was an honor to be among them.


My heart burst with gratitude.


Many wives were buried with their husbands.

Their epitaphs were carved on the backs of tombstones...

And as we walked back to the car to leave, I noticed this one.


This put a big smile on my face.

Most of the epitaphs that I walked by read...

"forever in our hearts".... "loving wife & mother"... "beloved".

This one stood out with "I took the one less traveled by"

I don't know this lady, but I sure do love her.

I wonder if we would have been great friends.

(If I were older, of course).

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will." - Romans 12:2

Comments

Popular Posts