Cuban Black Beans and Rice

One of my sweet friends recently gifted me a beautiful book titled One-Dish Vegan by Robin Robertson.

I had been wanting to try more vegetarian meals and the idea of vegan sounded enticing.

I spotted a recipe in the book that made me curious...

So I made a trip to the grocery store and ...

Boy am I glad I did.

This recipe was terrific!

It only took about 30 minutes to throw together, and the taste...

Was outstanding!



Here's the recipe adapted from that lovely book.

Enjoy!

Cuban Black Beans and Rice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
4 garlic cloves, pressed/finely chopped
1 small can of tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste

In large saucepan over medium heat, add oil, onion, bell pepper, zucchini and garlic.  Cover and cook until veggies soften, about 5 minutes.  Stir in tomato paste and seasonings, mix well.  Add diced tomatoes and beans.  Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until veggies are tender, about 15-25 minutes.  Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.  Serve over quinoa, white rice, or brown rice.

Comments

Popular Posts