Lentil Noodle Soup

At 4:30pm yesterday, I had no idea what we were having for dinner.  Usually when this happens we're out the door by 5pm and headed to a local restaurant hoping our sweet little toddler doesn't turn into a hungry screaming monster along the way.

Every time we eat out, I have to fight the temptation to eat badly.  As in, eat anything that's fried.

I love fried everything.  

I grew up in Texas where fried is good.

But, in a rush to avoid heading out the door and filling up on greasy food, I threw together a Lentil Noodle Soup.  Boy, am I glad I did.  It was super yummy!  

Lentil Noodle Soup   *Printable Recipe*
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
5 cups water
1 cup dry lentils
2 chicken boullion cubes (knorr brand)
1 small bundle vermicelli noodles (aka cellophane, mung bean noodles) 
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
dash of salt

In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic and carrots in olive oil for 3-5 minutes until onions turn clear.  Add water and boullion cubes, lentils, pepper, thyme, bay leaves and salt. Cover and cook on medium heat until lentils are soft, about 30-45 mins. 

Comments

Popular Posts