Black-Eyed Peas & Bacon

There's nothing like a nice warm bowl of black-eyed peas and bacon on a lazy Saturday afternoon.  I perused a few sites for recipes, but couldn't find one without hamhocks, butter, or vinegar.  So I defrosted some bacon and just went for it.  I was prepared for a backup meal of mac & cheese if this one didn't turn out well.  I'm happy to report that my little creation was amazingly delicious.  Thank God....no wasted food and no mac & cheese for lunch!  My husband & I loved it and we both went back for seconds.

Black-Eyed Peas & Bacon
2 cups dry black-eyed peas
6 cups water
1.5 chicken boullion cubes (knorr brand)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
6 bacon strips
1 tsp thyme
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Soak black-eyed peas in a bowl of warm water.  In the meantime, slice two bacon strips into small strips.  In a medium pot, cook bacon.  Add garlic, onions, and celery and saute until tender.  Add black-eyed peas, 6-cups of water, thyme, carrots, pepper, garlic powder, chicken boullion cubes.  Cook on medium until beans are tender.  While beans are cooking, cook remaining four strips of bacon in frying pan.  Crumble bacon and set aside.  Serve over white or brown rice and top with crumbled bacon.

Comments

Popular Posts