Shepherd's Pie

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  To celebrate my husband's Irish heritage, I thought I'd attempt at making his favorite Irish dish last night - Shepherd's Pie.

I found a recipe online that might be a winner, made a few substitutions with the ingredients and measurements to suit our taste, and .... Erin go Bragh!  (Irish for 'Ireland Forever'.  I know the phrase doesn't really fit, but that's all I got.)

This dish was a hit!  My husband & I loved it and it's on our 'must make again' list.  Like all of my favorite meals, this one is also super easy to make.  Enjoy!

Shepherd's Pie  *Printable Recipe*
adapted from allrecipes.com
Betty Crocker's Creamy Butter Mashed Potatoes (1 pouch)
1 onion, chopped
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
5 carrots, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 T olive oil
2 T flour
3/4 cup water
3 T ketchup
2 T worcester sauce
1 beef boullion cube (I use knorr brand)
salt & pepper taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm.  Drain and set aside.  Add water back to pot and boil.  Add peas until defrosted (about 1-2 minutes).  Drain and set aside.  Cook mashed potatoes according to package directions.  Set aside.

Heat oil in frying pan.  Add onion and cook until tender.  Add ground turkey and cook until well browned.  Drain excess fat.  In separate bowl mix water and flour.  Combine flour/water mixture into ground turkey.  Add ketchup and beef boullion cube.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  

Spread the ground turkey on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.  Then spread a layer of carrots.  Spread a layer of peas.  Top with mashed potato mixture.  Bake in over for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Popular Posts