Irish Soup

One of my favorite food blog sites posted a simple classic Irish soup called Brotchan Roy (also known as King's Soup).

I was intrigued.

Since St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner, I thought I'd try making an Irish dish or two.  My husband loves traditional Irish food like Shepards Pie and Corned Beef and Cabbage, but when I told him about making this soup of oatmeal and leeks, he looked at me and said, "Ewwwww!".

I, too, had never had soup with oatmeal and was also skeptical.  Plus, I had never cooked leeks before, but was willing to give it a shot.

After all, what does Irish soup taste like anyway? ...............

It tastes heavenly!  -  Absolutely outstanding!  -  Surprisingly delicious!

We loved it and were pleasantly surprised at how savory this dish was.  We'd recommend it to anyone looking for a nice hearty comfort-type soup.

Brotchan RoyClassic Irish Leek & Oatmeal Soup  *Printable Recipe*
adapted from skinnytaste.com

1 T butter
3 large leeks, white and pale green only, halved lengthwise, sliced thin
1/2 cup Irish steel cut oats
4 cups water
1 chicken boullion cube (knorr brand)
1 1/2 cup milk 2%
black pepper to taste

Soak sliced leeks in water to clean.  Melt butter in medium saucepan.  Add leeks.  Cook, stirring occasionally until leeks are soft.  Add water, chicken boullion cube, and milk.  Raise heat to high and bring to a boil.  Add oatmeal and black pepper.  Return to boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer until oats are tender, approx 45-60 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts